5 Simple Home Remedies To Reduce Back Pain During Periods
Be proud of your womanhood. Yes, even when you have your periods. Agreed it’s not the greatest time for us, but the rest of the time we rock.
For period pain, especially back pain during period, there are remedies. All of us go through some discomfort (of varying degrees) and you do not need to suffer alone.
For a few of us the pain starts a couple of days before and it’s our reminder that our periods are going to drop in for a visit. But why do back cramps happen?
When the egg does not get fertilised the uterus needs to scrape off the lining on its walls and shed it. The uterus contracts and spasms so that it can happen. And this is when the abdominal muscles hurt, which, in some cases, can lead to a pain in the lower back.
5 Home Remedies To Lessen Back Pain During Periods:
#1 Stay hydrated
Drinking water is good for us. But it is especially recommended during your periods. And if you cultivate a habit of drinking plenty of water daily it will actually make your periods a cakewalk.
#2 Drink herbal teas
- If drinking plain old water is boring, you can swap every other glass with a cup of herbal tea.
- The warm drink will soothe and comfort you physically and emotionally.
- Herbs like ginger, peppermint, lemongrass, chamomile and lavender are excellent ingredients for brewing a cuppa.
- The herbs fight fatigue and actually decrease the pain of periods.
#3 Eat a better diet
- I don’t know about you, but I get classic pre-period cravings. I want fatty, salted foods which worsen the bloating, water retention, and back pain before periods. Instead of succumbing, I turn to fruits, like bananas.
- Bananas are loaded with potassium which is a better substitute for the salt and fried food craving.
- Also eat plenty of leafy vegetables; pile your plate with lentils and legumes; and get all the iron you need.
#4 Have an orgasm
No sniggering girls; believe me, this works.
- An orgasm makes you happy because it releases endorphins. And endorphins fight pain.
- The uterus is most relaxed just before climaxing.
- And when you get the big O, blood flow is channelled to the uterus, giving huge relief from pain.
- Also, an orgasm will relax you and help you sleep better.
#5 Ginger, in all forms
- We all have ginger in our refrigerator all year through. Use it to help relieve lower back pain before period.
- The herb lowers the secretion of the pain-causing hormone, prostaglandins.
- It lowers the fatigue that comes with premenstrual syndrome.
How do you use ginger?
- Make ginger tea by boiling grated ginger with a cup of water.
- Strain it, add honey and sip the liquid 2-3 times a day.
- You can also just suck on a piece of ginger or ginger candy.
Remember, a little back pain is normal, but if the pain makes you weak or interferes with your daily routine, consult your doctor to rule out any other conditions. Use Whisper Ultra Clean during your periods to stay dry and comfortable all day long.